A VPN is a necessity for those in Saudi Arabia who value their privacy online. A VPN encrypts your internet connection, hiding your activity from snooping internet providers and authorities. Also open up access to international streaming services and other geographically restricted websites and apps.
Saudi Arabia ranks extremely poorly on internet freedoms with a litany of sites and social media apps blocked for residents throughout the country as per analysis of VPNAdvise. Bloggers have also been arrested and incarcerated for speaking out against the government and its authoritarian policies.
Advocacy body Freedom House says the internet landscape in the country is “not free”, with authorities constantly striving to stifle online commentary as well as access to content. That’s probably one of the reasons more than 30 percent of Saudi netizens use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access the web in the Middle Eastern country.
Best VPNs for Saudi Arabia
Our list of the best VPNs for Saudi Arabia is based on the following factors:
- Speed and stability of service
- Large network of servers across the world for expatriates to unblock content
- Strong encryption parameters to maintain privacy and anonymity
- Ease of use
- Apps for Android and iOS
VPNAdvise reviewed over 50+ different VPNs in the last 3 years – searching for the best Saudi Arabian VPN server. Based on the above criteria we recommend the following VPNs for Saudi Arabia.
NordVPN delivers comprehensive protection for your online activities while residing in or visiting Saudi Arabia. This Panama-based VPN offers full privacy protection for your online travels, as it keeps no records of its users’ online travels. You can combine cryptocurrency payment options with a disposable email address to protect your payment privacy.
NordVPN’s connections are fast and provide a high level of reliability. The provider’s government-grade encryption protects your activities from prying eyes, and their connection obfuscation and kill switch protections ensure your connection will not be laid bare. NordVPN has 5,200+ servers well distributed throughout 60 countries, providing excellent access to the rest of the world.
Why should you choose NordVPN in Saudi Arabia?
- Top-notch privacy protection
- Total no-logs policy
- 6 concurrent connections allowed
- Double VPN and connection obfuscation protection
- Low price attractive to budget-minded users
ExpressVPN is the best option for full protection for your internet activities while inside Saudi Arabia.The British Virgin Islands-based VPN provider keeps no logs of any kind related to their users’ internet voyages. This offers assurance that no one can successfully request evidence of any of your activities. Users can combine the provider’s Bitcoin anonymous payment option with a throw-away email address to keep their payment information totally incognito.
ExpressVPN offers reliable, speedy connections that are protected by military-grade encryption. Automatic kill switch protection is ready, so your online antics are never subject to being monitored in the unlikely case you lose connection to the provider’s servers. A global server network of 3,000+ VPN servers spread across 94 countries provides optimal opportunity to access blocked content, no matter where it might be located.
Why should you choose ExpressVPN in Saudi Arabia?
- Total no-logs policy and Bitcoin payment protection
- Reliable, encrypted connections
- Kill switch, IPv6 leak and DNS leak protection
- Top-notch app support
- Excellent customer support
PureVPN is one of the top companies in the VPN industry, having high security features and 256 bit encryption. This assures that everything you do over the internet in Saudi Arabia remains encrypted and doesn’t let your ISPs know about your internet traffic.
Moreover, it has widely diverse server locations with over 2,000+ servers, which means you have the privilege to choose any of these servers with ease without facing connectivity issues. PureVPN has 6 servers in Jeddah which means you will have a pretty good experience while using it, for further details of PureVPN review click here. Its high level of encryptions makes it impossible for anyone to intrude. Furthermore its kill switch feature protects you in case your VPN crashes.
Why should you choose PureVPN in Saudi Arabia?
- Successfully pass geo –restriction and access blocked content
- More than 2000+ VPN servers so that you can connect easily
- Servers deployed at more than 180+ locations
- 300,000+ IP addresses to unlock content
- 256-bit encryption
Surfshark is a relative newcomer to the VPN scene, but it’s been creating quite the buzz. It has great unblocking capabilities as well as top-notch customer service. At the time of writing, this provider has around 500 servers covering 50 countries. Some locations near Saudi Arabia are included, such as Turkey.
Surfshark is able to circumvent geo-restrictions around a plethora of streaming sites, including Netflix.
Customer support is available around the clock. Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire Stick. Customers will enjoy the fact that you can connect an unlimited number of devices with a single account.
Why should you choose Surfshark in Saudi Arabia?
- Takes privacy and security very seriously
- Great at unblocking popular streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer
- 24/7 live chat
- Decent speeds for downloading and streaming
Ivacy VPN review is capable enough to bypass Saudi restrictions and gives you a smooth experience without any lagging or instability. Customer security – high level of protection from cyber threats and zero logging. Ivacy offers servers in 40+ countries so you can access content from any blocked or restricted website from around the world.
As a frequent VPN reviewer, I rarely come across services that provide budget-friendly rates for a quality service. Ivacy is an exception to this norm. The VPN is equipped with all the advanced tool to protect your online privacy. But interestingly, it does not charge you much for the service.
Why should you choose Ivacy in Saudi Arabia?
- A huge range of server locations – access any website from any server.
- Anonymous signup – one of the greatest features to have, keeping you completely safe.
- 30-day money back guarantee
With 280 server locations HideMyAss has the world’s largest network locations making it sure that you won’t be having any connectivity issues. Its military grade encryption and high level of industry expertise make it sure that you bypass any restriction in Saudi Arabia. While we did a HideMyAss review, we have identify that it also has 2 servers in Jeddah which means accessing local content outside Saudi Arabia is also possible!
Why should you choose HideMyAss in Saudi Arabia?
- fast connection speeds – enjoy HD streaming
- Highly secure encryption– you can be relaxed that the authorities won’t get to you.
- Widely spread servers- high connectivity rate.
- A Business VPN option is also available so you can have multiple simultaneous connections.
IPVanish earns its spot in the top 5 thanks to its self-owned and -operated server network, no-logs policy, reliable connections, and kill switch and connection obfuscation protection. U.S.-based IPVanish ignores its home country’s opinion on privacy and keeps no logs of any kind, so your online activities stay incognito.
IPVanish’s reliable, high-speed connections are protected by high-level encryption, a kill switch, auto-reconnect, IPv6 leak protections and a proprietary “Scramble” feature. You can also make use of either IPVanish’s DNS servers or their preferred third-party DNS servers.
This provider has over 1,300 servers located in 50 countries around the globe, providing ample access to the free world. IPVanish provides additional protection, as the VPN service owns and operates all of its server farms. This removes third-party operators from the equation, keeping anyone from having access to your info.
Why should you choose IPVanish in Saudi Arabia?
- Dependable, well-encrypted connections
- Self-owned and -operated server farms
- 10 simultaneous connections
VyprVPN is a favorite with people who value privacy and security as its proprietary tech is world-class. The company itself has been around for over seven years, making it a mature service that skirts government blockades at will.It does, however, having a logging policy – specifically “the user’s source IP address, the VyprVPN IP address used by the user, connection start and stop time and total number of bytes used.” Some users might be concerned about that.
VyprVPN uses the OpenVPN protocol, 256-bit AES encryption, 2,048-bit RSA keys without perfect forward secrecy, and SHA256 authentication. There’s an internet kill switch included. It’s also able to unlock content on Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
Why should you choose VyprVPN in Saudi Arabia?
- Great unblocking capabilities, works well in Saudi Arabia
- Stable and speedy connections with secure apps
- Owns and manages its entire network of servers
Internet Restrictions in Saudi Arabia
The main thing you will have to contend with while visiting or living in Saudi Arabia is censorship. Many sites and services are inaccessible, and you will need a VPN to unblock them. Much content is also unavailable from within Saudi Arabia due to copyright geo-restrictions.
The VPNs in this article have lots of servers located around the world that will allow you to pretend to be in a different country.
Are VPNs Safe in Saudi Arabia?
Having a VPN and using it in Saudi Arabia is technically against the nations cyber laws. That is pretty crazy considering that many businesses use VPNs in the country. What we can say confidently, is that using a VPN for Saudi Arabia is much more secure than using a proxy in Saudi Arabia.
To use a VPN securely in Saudi Arabia, you are going to need to use a VPN with robust security features. Otherwise, you could be caught unblocking censored material: which could land you in prison or worse. Here is a list of features that a VPN must have in Saudi Arabia :
- Well implemented military-grade encryption. VPNs all provide different levels of encryption. To be secure in Saudi Arabia we recommend only the best: OpenVPN encryption implemented to the highest standards.
- A Killswitch. A kill switch will cut your internet if the VPN connection drops out. It will stop you from accidentally leaking data to your ISP should the VPN connection drop out. Without a killswitch your ISP will know what website you are visiting if the VPN drops out.
- DNS leak protection. A DNS leak would also inform your ISP about the websites you are visiting. That would be a disaster in Saudi Arabia.
- Stealth mode/VPN cloaking. This is a feature that conceals VPN use. It adds an extra layer of security by disguising OpenVPN traffic as regular HTTPS. Which makes it very hard for ISPs to detect that a VPN may be in use.
How to Test a KSA VPN
Once you have got your VPN up and running, it is worth checking to make sure it is working. To do so head over to testmy.net. On that website, you will be able to make sure that your IP address is appropriately showing up as a location outside of Saudi Arabia.
You can also check for DNS leaks and WebRTC leaks.
How to use a VPN
Using a VPN in Saudi Arabia is not a difficult task. However, you must make sure that you set the VPN up properly if you don’t want to get in trouble. Here is a quick checklist to make sure you get everything right:
- Select a VPN service from this list and subscribe.
- Download the VPN software: make sure you get the right software for your platform.
- Install the VPN and log in using your credentials.
- Select OpenVPN encryption in settings
- Turn on DNS leak protection and the killswitch, and if it has auto-connect select, then turn that on, too. If no DNS leak setting is available, but the VPN is on this list, then it is automatic.
- Turn on stealth mode if you want an added layer of security.
- Select a server and click connect.
As soon as the VPN connects you appear to be in the location that you selected. Your VPN encryption will also protect you. Therefore, your ISP and the government cannot detect what you are doing online. Besides, the kill switch will ensure you never leak unencrypted traffic to your ISP.
These VPNs provide strong privacy and let you unblock all censored and geo-restricted content from in Saudi Arabia. Also, they are fantastic value for money and provide trial periods or money back guarantees. That means you can test these VPNs risk-free.
Finally, please look at this article thoroughly and please use all the important and advanced VPN features in Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, VPN use can get you in trouble with the law.