|Servers||30+ servers in 29 Countries|
|Multi Login||5 Devices|
ZenMate is a Germany-based VPN provider that works as an app and as well as a browser extension. It is a Freemium VPN provider, meaning it has a free version and premium version. We provide a complete ZenMate review of 2019 that evaluate its performance.
This service is a Freemium VPN, meaning that it offers both, a free VPN service and a paid VPN service. If you are looking for some cheaper options, view this list of the best cheap VPN services in 2019. You will find limited features available in its free VPN service.
|Protect up to 5 devices||App’s simplicity sometimes works against it|
|Ensured strict no-logs policy||–|
|Apps for all your devices||–|
|30+ global server locations||–|
Pricing- Is it Expensive or Cheap?
Even though this service offers a free extension/plugin for web browsers, our ZenMate premium review is primarily concerned with its premium plan. Using the paid plan, your entire web activities are encrypted, while the free plan will only get the activities in your browser encrypted.
The pricing plan offered by the service is no different from other VPN providers designed in three tiers. The pricing tends to change as you increase the subscription time with the VPN provider.
- For a one year subscription, the product costs at $1.75/month
- For a 6 month subscription, the product costs at $3.49/month
- For monthly subscription, the product costs at $9.99/month
- One-click VPN connection – users can encrypt internet traffic with the click of a single button to protect their digital activity over Wi-Fi or cable connections.
- Best Location – our users can connect to the fastest ZenMate servers based on each of their location, so that they’ll never have to experience slow internet connections when using a VPN.
- Multiple protocols – ZenMate users can choose from the OpenVPN, 1Kev2, and L2TP protocols to personalize their settings, and rest assured knowing our strong 256-AES encryption technology secures all their data.
- Easier to use than ever -anyone can easily run the new app, no matter their technical skill level. Our sleek design makes it effortless and straightforward for anyone to protect their privacy.
- Compact view and detailed view – users can choose the compact view to connect to their VPN server or choose a feature like Best Location for quick digital security. For a personalized experience, users can choose the detailed view and adjust all the settings to the features we offer.
- Downloading and Streaming servers filters -ZenMate users can discover borderless streaming with the click of a button. They can use the streaming filter to find the best servers optimized for streaming services. And do the same to discover the fastest servers for download speeds. • Favorite servers – we give our users the option to save the servers they like the most so they can quickly and conveniently connect to them with just one click.
- Fast servers worldwide – we have 35+ countries to choose from so our users can change their IPs for anonymous web-surfing.
- Zero logs kept -We want our users to have complete online anonymity, that’s why ZenMate is never going to keep logs of our users’ activity.
- Full protection across devices – anyone can use the all-new ZenMate app on up to 5 devices at the same time with only 1 ZenMate account.
ZenMate Chrome Extension
ZenMate for Chrome uses a 128-bit encryption for online security, which is a bit weaker to its premium version. However, the speed for ZenMate Chrome extension is far better than its app. The download speeds has an improvement and is quicker to perform.
Moreover, the extension offers some features that are not even present in the Windows client. In particular, it can set a new location itself when you visit a specific website. This saves your time.
All major credit card options (VISA, MasterCard, American Express etc.) are available including UnionPay,. However, we could not locate BitCoin option, which means the company no longer supports BitCoin payments. It is a shame that it was removed from the list. Bitcoin offer users an anonymous payment option, allowing anyone to sign up for the service without revealing personal information.
Interestingly, it seems as if the providers have also removed the PayPal option. This too is disappointing because PayPal is one of the most widely used online payment method. It is also extremely convenient while getting a refund of your payment.
Based on the above information, we can conclude that ZenMate is failing to provide an extensive range of payment methods to the users.
Once you obtain a premium package, you can access to 30+ different server locations, which is very low for a VPN service provider. Since ZenMate has recently started its premium services from being a browser extension, the performance seems very fair and it only will increase as the days prolong.
That said, the server list covers major locations and offers access to content from all over the globe. However, we would like to see more server options in the future.
Speed & Performance
During our tests, we monitored ZenMate’s overall performance on 13 different servers for a period of one week. Our testing team was located in Belgrade, Serbia (Europe) and covered everything from simple browsing and online gaming to torrenting and streaming.
Our best results were recorded in Stockholm, where we managed to maintain 97.65% of our original speed. Servers in Frankfurt and London also performed pretty well. In the US, we had the best result in New York (72.19% of the original speed) and we were able to stream Netflix US in full HD without any problems. Our speeds were decent while using servers in Sydney and Hong Kong as well.
We did not experience any sudden disconnects, connection problems, lags or similar inconveniences, except for the server optimized for Netflix US, which was a complete nightmare. The software took some time to establish a connection with more distant servers, but that was not a huge issue.
|Location||Ping (ms)||Download (Mbps)||Upload (Mbps)|
|New York, US||130||26.11||4.1|
|San Francisco, US||195||19.42||2.8|
|Sao Paulo, Brazil||233||22.29||2.43|
ZenMate offers streaming servers optimized for different platforms, including Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Yle, HBO Now, Globo SportTV, Fox Spot, Eurosport, Channel 4, ORF, Player.PL, Comedy Central, and Globo.
ZenMate does work with Netflix US, UK, and GE, but the specialized US server constantly kept on disconnecting and reconnecting during our test, which completely ruined our experience. The UK and GE servers were more stable and allowed for seamless streams. The regular US VPN server also enabled us to stream anime on Crunchyroll without any problems. Unfortunately, the same was not true for Netflix US.
As we already mentioned in this ZenMate review, the company features servers specifically optimized for torrenting. In other words, you can count on safe and fast downloads without having to worry about your P2P traffic being monitored.
All torrenting servers listed in the client come with their respective user count and server load expressed as a percentage. This means you never have to go in blind and suffer slow downloads due to server overcrowding.
For users who might want to contact the support staff on urgent basis can only contact through email. However, we found out that their responses were timely and covered all the aspects of the problem.
It is not difficult to contact the providers through email. There is a support icon on the homepage; it leads to a page that has four options:
- Getting Started
- Using ZenMate
- Contact ZenMate Support
The first three sections contain guides, manuals and detailed answers to genral queries about the service. These sections are regularly updated and contain useful information regarding the service.
Why is ZenMate the best YouTube Unblocker?
ZenMate VPN allows users to unblock YouTube videos, blocked websites, age restricted content or streaming services. With more than 45 million users and a growing community, we offer ultimate level security and privacy against prying eyes. We do not log any of our users’ data, so no one, including us, can track your online activity. Download ZenMate now and enjoy having a trustworthy YouTube unblocker for life on all platforms and operating systems – Windows, Mac, iOS, or Android.
- High speed connection: All ZenMate VPN servers offer unlimited bandwidth and lightning fast speeds.
- Stay protected on multiple devices: ZenMate VPN allows simultaneous connections on up to 5 different devices.
- Strict No-Logs policy: Your online anonymity is guaranteed. Our servers automatically delete all the data that runs through them.
- VPN for all devices: ZenMate is avaialbe for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Google Chrome, Opera or Firefox.
- One-click-connect: We offer an intuitive and user-friendly experience. Just one click is all it takes for you to unleash ZenMate VPN at full throttle.
- More than 30 global locations: Escape all Internet restrictions with our over 800+ servers from more than 30 countries.
Compatibility of the Service
ZenMate supports all popular platforms, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, gaming consoles, Firestick TV, Apple TV, Chromebook, Raspberry Pi, routers, and Smart TV. It comes with browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. It is worth noting that not many VPN services offer extensions for Opera, so if this is your favorite browser, ZenMate has you covered.
Users must remain certain that when using the browser extension, it will only encrypt browsing traffic, while other traffic will not be encrypted. However, the premium version of the service covers the entire traffic from user’s device. ZenMate allows up to 5 simultaneous connections, which is pretty much the standard with modern VPNs. You can add more devices easily by simply downloading the software form the official website and using your login data in the client (the registration and client credentials are the same). On the other hand, you can also remove any devices at a moment’s notice through your personal dashboard on the site.
Protocols and Encryption
From the technical aspect, the latest protocol TLS 1.2 (RFC 5246) is being used by ZenMate to protect users’ data. It further uses AES 128 bit encryption algorithm, instead of AES 256 bit, to encrypt user’s traffic. In our opinion, the encryption level is not the strongest as per industry standard.
Furthermore, the lack of protocol options also plays down ZenMate. The actual reason for this is not clear; perhaps its due to the cost or merely a preference of performance, we are not quite sure.
ZenMate vs Hola
Hola is a free web browser extension just like ZenMate that offers a Premium Plan that could provide higher online security and privacy to its users. Hola is available has 300 server locations which means it has a better coverage than ZenMate.
ZenGuard GmbH is responsible for collection of any kind of data or it’s processing on this service. This seems a bit doubtful from the users point of view as they are trusting the service with their information. The information is in fact managed by another party, which challenges the authority of the service in accessing the data.
VPN users are still unknown to the facts about 14-eyes countries. These are the 14 countries that have made a special agreement that allows them to collect, analyze, and share intelligence amongst themselves.
The agreement restricts these countries to spy on each other as enemies, but rather they can help each other by spying onto their citizens. US is not allowed to spy on their own citizens, and considering that matter they can ask UK to spy on them, which makes citizens vulnerable.
Start the app by double clicking on the ZenMate VPN desktop icon.
The main screen (as shown below) will open. Please note that opening the app doesn’t mean you are automatically protected, as we’ll show in the next steps.
To connect to the VPN, simply click on the main button as displayed bellow. By default, the best server location will be chosen for you. If you want to change this, tap on the best location button to select a preferred location.
If you click on “Best server location”, a list of popular locations and your favourite list will pop-up.
In case you want to go into the advanced options, filters and locations, simply click on the expand button on the left side of the interface. That will open the advanced mode as shown bellow.
This is also where you’ll be able to select servers based on specific use.
- Favorites: This list displays all single servers, countries, streaming and torrent connections you previously marked as favourites.
- All servers: Displays all countries available and, if extended, all single servers available for the resp. extended country entry.
- For torrenting: If you want to download Torrents or other files you most often need a compatible server, since not all countries for example allow P2P technologies such as Torrents. Also you might want the best performance available.
- For streaming: In case you want to stream content from a certain country (e. g. to watch home TV when on a trip), you need a server capable of delivering high resolution content as well as being equipped to work with the wanted streaming platform.